D.T. and Wrigley relaxing by the fireplace.

D.T. and Wrigley relaxing by the fireplace.
Can't we all just get along?

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Reason #2: Animals are non-judgemental.


We just returned from a wonderful program offered by our public library called Read To Rover.  It gives kids in grades Kindergarten through 5th  an opportunity to practice their reading skills with a therapy dog.  I found it very interesting that when I asked my daughters if they wanted to practice their reading with a dog, they sprinted past me, book in hand, already zipping up their coats.  It dawned on me that while I sit there and often repeat: "sound it out", "group the letters", "you know that word", "what's the root word", and annoyingly so-on and so-on, an animal just listens.  Of course, I know an animal won't give feedback!  But, for a child, there is a calm, supportive presence of an animal who loves your attention and company, no matter what you are doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment