D.T. and Wrigley relaxing by the fireplace.

D.T. and Wrigley relaxing by the fireplace.
Can't we all just get along?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

New foster litter is finally here!

After getting back into our groove after vacation we got the call about fostering a new litter.  I was sad to hear that the first animals that are euthanized are black ones.  This is a problem for cats as well as dogs.  I don't get it!?!  We adopted our black kitty last year and he is absolutely wonderful!  I can't imagine our lives without him!  I heard a volunteer at the shelter say "what they lack in markings they make up for in personality".  So true, I am finding.  Well, here we are, our new little family that was ready to be euthanized and discarded like garbage.  They are older and bigger than we normally get but they need LOTS of socialization and TLC.  Not only are they on antibiotics daily, the two sisters are very skittish and scared.  My girls are learning how to rehab them even through the hissing and cowering.  The male kitten was all alone and is quite the charmer (like our own Timone) so he was put with the sisters to help them come around.  It's amazing how even when thrown together, they become a little family and love one another.
O"Malley was already named and is quite the charmer!  Look
at those ears!  I can't stop thinking of "O'Malley the alley cat" from
The Aristocats movie! :)

We decided to stay with the Irish theme, so this
is Kennedy.  So pretty, fluffy and coming around socially.

This is Kerrigan, which is Irish for black.
She will be the challenge.  She hisses because she is scared...
who knows how people treated her.
But we have high hopes for her!!

**Somehow my daughters have a much quicker success rate than I do at getting the scared ones to come around.   They are already telling me how the sisters are licking them and nuzzling up against them!! I am mostly the caretaker: give medicine, clean up the accidents, clip nails, etc.  Maybe they sense that and feel more at ease with calm, loving children who are smaller in size.  That's OK, though, I am proud no matter what!!

No comments:

Post a Comment