D.T. and Wrigley relaxing by the fireplace.

D.T. and Wrigley relaxing by the fireplace.
Can't we all just get along?

Friday, March 18, 2011

Reason #6: Animals are the masters of living in the moment!

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment"- Buddha.  I try to live by this quote but the biggest fault of mine is wishing time away.  "I can't wait until this stressful day is over, I'll buy that top when I lose 10 pounds, when the kids are older we'll go there, etc."  I wasn't in spin class this morning for five minutes before I was wishing it was over! :) Yoga is a great practice for being "in the now".  You have to be present  with the postures and the breathing to reap the benefits.  The hardest part, for me, is the meditation at the end without clouding up my mind with the day's to-do list.   No matter what is going on, an animal can live in the moment, no problem!  One of my favorite things to do is ask the dog "Do you want to go for a walk?"  Wrigley is always eager and willing and when outside she is SO happy and mindful of every scent, noise, green space, change in the wind and her family walking with her.  You don't need to read Eckhart Tolle's book, The Power of Now (although is IS very good) to learn how to live in the moment, you just need to BE with an animal and watch how they do it effortlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment